Tuesday 23 February 2010

When I was 17 I had wrists like steel and I felt complete.


Today was spent almost entirely indoors, the combination of too much tea and central heating sent me to new heights of noggin pain and fuzzyness I never thought possible. I went for a walk, a tutor of mine always used to say that inspiration could come from anywhere..'go look for something new'. I have lived in the same house since I was born apart from living in Manchester for four years of course, I have always come back here, to this house, to Preston all my life. How would I be able to see anything new? I walked past my old school, walked a few streets I hadn't set foot down in years but they still looked pretty much the same, perhaps only smaller. I have never thought to photograph my neighbourhood, maybe because I've seen it so many times, I'm blind to it's features. I started to think about documenting those streets though, and how to go about doing it as I stomped around. After 23 years of living in one place, everywhere has a story or a memory. This statement is of course obvious but the challenge of documenting these streets in a graphic yet personal way is something I have begun to be intrigued by.

I was also brought back to Jonathon Barnbrooks work today, (http://www.barnbrook.net/) I've been looking into font design and remember from the lecture I attended on his work last year that the thing that impressed me was his typography. I have a love/hate relationship with Barnbrooks work, but I find I love his typography work, mostly because of his ability to talk so enthusiastically about it. I found a font called 'Home Sweet Home', I love it. So this combined with my thoughts of home lead me to knock up a strongly typographical piece of work to encapsulate my project idea of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment